According to IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. “In addition to extending tax deadlines and working on new legislation, the IRS is pursuing unprecedented actions to ease the burden on people facing tax issues. During this difficult time, we want people working together, focused on their well-being, helping each other and others less fortunate.”
The initiative addresses the following:
- Extension of the deadline for income tax returns due April 15th to July 15th.
- Extension of the due date for income tax payment from April 15th to July 15th.
- Suspension of payment due under a valid installment agreement on April 1 and July 15, 2020.
- Actions to assist those in various stages of the Offer in Compromise process.
- Suspension of many but not all field collections activities.
- Automatic, systemic liens and levies will be suspended during this period.
- Suspension of the passport suspension initiate for taxpayers that delinquent in tax filing & payment.
- Put a hold on new field, office and correspondence examinations.
- Extension the time permitted until July 15th for taxpayers to respond to IRS requests for earned income credit verification requests.
For more information about this important IRS initiative see the IRS web site at www.IRS.gov or give us a call at 954-563-1269.